Monday, August 25, 2008

Project: Thread Pillow Edging



We've got a family wedding coming up, so I edged a few pillow cases as a gift (shown on a pillow). Most people nowadays like more than two pillows on a bed, and I always pick up a few white cases when I see them on sale, and keep them in my gift drawer, so I was able to make these without any extra expense.

I like a fairly narrow edge on pillow cases. I sew them to the seam where the hem ends, because I've tried many different techniques and stitches, and find that the bigger edgings, or those put on the edge of the pillow, tend to get all scrunched up and messy. This is a 10 stitch pattern I got from a woman I babysat for when I was in hgh school, so it's probably in the public domain by now (45+ years ago). I have it in my fingers, but I wrote it out on a slip of paper at the time, and called it "Rose's Towel Edging." I have no idea if it really has a name or where it came from.

This is the first time I've edged a pillow case in anything but white or ecru. The bridal registry showed a comforter set in browns and golds, so I used some Knit Cro-Sheen from the thread bag, in a burnished gold tone. I feel like such a wild woman. Next, I may try sky diving!

Hugs

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the phrase "I have it in my fingers". I'm working on memorizing a few patterns that way, and it's a cool way to describe it, my fingers just know how it feels to do that pattern.

Barbara said...

Very pretty! Reminds me of sleeping over at Grandma's. What a lovely idea for a wedding gift. I'm not such a fan of only gifting from the registry; I usually branch out (what a surprise) and make something. I attended a baby shower earlier this summer and, in a group of about 30 women, was the only one with a handmade gift. What's the world coming to?