Sunday, August 10, 2008

Project: Trash and Treasure Yarn--Table Pad



I came across this old Coats and Clark pattern booklet when going through my box of patterns. All the items are made by crocheting over cotton clothesline with three strands of yarn. There are three baskets and some trivets, along with placemats and a rug. I made one table pad for my daughter to match the cloths I'd made her a few weeks ago, using one strand of blue variegated yarn, and two strands of white. I only had a small hank of unused clothesline in the basement, but my hardware store has similar line on a big roll that one can buy by the yard, so I hope to make another pad and a bread basket for her as a gift, using my scraps of blue and white.


This is the first time I've tried the technique of working over clothesline, and it was extremely quick to make and took less than one ounce of each color, but, unfortunately, the directions were very hard to follow. In the end, after ripping a few times, I just eyeballed it. Unfortunately, one side is a tiny bit bigger than the other, if you look closely (don't look closely LOL). I'm anxious to make the bread basket now. I can see how this would be a good way to make a rug, too, as it adds a nice bit of heft to the items. (Although there were no instructions about weaving in those thick ends of fraying clothesline!)


I hope you all had a good weekend. Hugs and best wishes to all.

No comments: