Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Whoo-Hoo! Beautiful Cone Yarns--$1.25


I found these cones today at a church rummage sale. Both are from Mexico. The turquoise has flecks of other colors and is a light worsted/heavy DK (knits up on a #5 needle), and is almost four pounds. The pink is sport weight and knits up well on a #3 needle. The cone weighs 1.75 lbs. Both are wool blends, according to the descriptions on the tags that were attached.
What luck! I was so happy to have some money left in the fund. I paid $1.25 for BOTH, and also bought a Louisa Harding pattern book for a quarter. There is easily enough of the turquoise to make a sweater (it is a bit scratchy, but someone gave me a tip in a comment that washing with hair conditioner will soften up scratchy wool, which worked like a charm when I tried it on my Nun's socks).
I'm doing the happy dance. The best find yet. And I still have $3.40 left.

2 comments:

Kathleen (KJF) said...

What a wonderful find. I thought, when I looked at the cones, they might be the cotton Peaches & Creme yarn. But wool. Cool. Can't wait to see what you make.

Lisa T said...

Lucky!