Sunday, September 7, 2008

OTN and Hooks This Week--And More

I told people not to give me yarn this year for my birthday, because I'm so into this project and didn't want to be drawn away from my little world of scraps and leftovers. I did receive some good knitting stuff, though. I got both Fall issues of KnitSimple and Vogue Knitting--and both are great this year. On the way home from my daughter's we stopped at a diner for coffee and we sat in a booth and spent a long time looking through the magazines. VK had a very nice article on Jess and Casey of ravelry.com (the knitting universe sure lucked out when those two came on the scene). VK also has a wonderful section on Canadian knitters and designers, and a super pattern for a hooded cabled sweater-jacket I'm dying to make, plus some cool mittens. And KS features plus-size patterns this month, and a lot of bags and other accessories.
--

The internet sure has changed needlework and crafts. Needlework magazines now feature lots of articles about knitters, the community, the environment, etc. We have a real community now thanks to all the blogs and websites that get so much information out there. And we have all these personalities, too. It's so much fun to go into the bookstore and see people we know, on the shelves, such as Stephanie McPhee, the Stitch and Bitch and Mason-Dixon ladies, to name just a few. I sure wish this had all been around years ago, when I was younger. It's so much fun.
--
Off topic: Speaking of age, though, I get steamed with all the jokes about McCain's age. I'm a big Obama supporter, but it irritates me when people think being older is a liability. I'd like to think I've picked up a few pearls (and purls!) of wisdom over the years. Something has to compensate for all the aches and pains.

I hope you all had a great weekend. Hugs and best wishes.

No comments: