Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Progress Notes: Boy's Wool Ski Sweater

Wow. I was sorting my brown yarns for the afghan, and noticed the woolmark on this humungous skein of brown worsted (6 oz.!). I have no idea what bag this yarn rode in on. It's ancient, and I must have just assumed it was acrylic.

Sooooo, I gathered all the wool bits I had and decided it would be enough to make a ski sweater for one of the kids. No stranded knitting here, though. I had to use a slip stitch pattern to make the brown stretch. It was that or stripes. And I did use some yellow Woolease. But, it's quite nice, isn't it?

No, it won't be machine washable. And, it's for a six year old. Not the most practical, I know. I'd better put a label in it that says, "Don't machine wash" or something similar. I'm hoping the colorful fabric won't show dirt and stains too much. I think this is one sweater that grandma will be taking home to launder.

The front and back are done. Now--for the sleeves and neckband. I'm writing down the pattern this time, as I go along, having learned the hard way that my old brain just doesn't remember what I did if I wait too long. This will be my first sweater pattern. Yay.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Very cute! Love the colors and the stitch. Can't wait to see it finished.