Monday, June 16, 2008

Adventures with Cotton Thread


I'm really having a good time putzing around with the giant grab bag of cotton thread, and have some big projects planned.

Daughter #1 wears a lot of scarves in her curly hair, and also around her neck, so I was curious to see if I could knit something from the thread that would drape well. I tried the thread double, but didn't get a soft feel, so went down to single thickness of the #10 thread, and used a #1 needle.

Aren't these needles adorable? I found three different sizes of these needles in the bottom of the thread bag, and just had to use them right away. They have a medal core and a clear plastic coating. I can't help wondering how many projects they've held over the years. They're long, and slippery, though, and I must admit I much prefer using circulars or my bamboo DPNs now for everything.

The resulting fabric draped beautifully, and was gauzy, almost transparent, when knitted up. It was so much fun to make this neckerchief. I'd forgotten how absorbing it is to experiment with design. This huge bag gives me the luxury to try all kinds of new things, without the stress of wasting yarn or trying to adapt someone else's pattern. Truly an unexpected gift.

No comments: