Sunday, June 22, 2008

Nun's Yarn Socks!



First, a big thanks to those who are leaving comments. For some reason, Blogger isn't letting me make comments today.
I couldn't wait to cast on some socks from the Nun's wool. Here's a pic of the first sock, photographed on the quilt my Aunt Maree made me about 30+ years ago. I've got some sort of complex stripe pattern going on, but don't know how successful it will be. I'm calling them my Finlandia Socks, since I always associate striped knitting with Finnish design. I'm using a broken rib type of pattern (k,p row followed by a k row). since the No. 2 needles are giving me a little looser fabric than I wanted.
Last year I made eight pairs of socks, but so far this year have only completed one pair, due to the yarn shortage. It's great to be doing socks again.
I don't really have any great prejudice against using yarns other than sock yarns for socks, though. I remember the days before sock yarns, when a few mills sold "sock and sweater yarns" but mostly we'd just buy the thinner yarns and use anything that worked. And I also remember when Orlon socks came on the market and we LOVED those with our loafers. They were so much softer and whiter than our cotton ankle socks. (We didn't ever wear pants to school and only wore nylons to church, so every day we wore white socks and pleated skirts or jumpers.)

So to me, the sock knitting thing has gotten a little out of hand. I just can't spend $30 on a pair of socks! (Okay, I have spent $20 on a few pair in the past, and love them. But I'm flexible.)
Here's a pair I made recently out of some Orlon baby yarn. Excuse my chubby legs! The socks are lacy and cute, though. I used #3 needles and just winged it, wanting to experiment more than anything.

Today we made a trip out to the Trash and Treasure flea market, and there was a woman selling bags of yarn for $3. It looked to me mostly acrylic, but I bought a bag that had several skeins of brown, for a teddy bear, and also bought five patterns books from her, so I spent another $3.50. I still have more than $10 left in my budget.



7 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, I'm cleaning out my yarn closet. (Yes, you read that right. I have a yarn CLOSET. It's supposed to be my husband's too, but the yarn appears to have eaten his stuff.) There are some yarns I just won't use up, do you accept donations?

rochard said...

Wow, Amy, that would add another chapter to my story, wouldn't it? What do you have? Obviously, I'm not fussy, but the postage might be a problem. Do you have any short zippers, by any chance? I'm making coin purses at the moment.

If you're here from the dishcloth group, you've got my email. Let's talk!

Sally

THE KNITORIOUS MRS. B said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Why must sock yarn be priced so high? I remember paying $13 for my first ball of sock yarn about 8 years ago- ( back in the day when Koigu cost around $9 a skein too!)and I too have become used to being seduced to paying $16- $22 for a 100 gram ball of sock yarn!

Yet, I cannot say "no"....

Sr. Hildegard said...

I am a nun - a nun knitter, spinner and quilter, etc.! I support your enterprise. would you link to my blog: MonasticMusingsOSsR.blogspot.com find the e-mail link in side bar and tell me how you got commens to show under your posts or where I can find out hwo to make that happen? I would be grateful. Happy kniting and bargain hunting. Sr. Hildegard

Sr. Hildegard said...

Hi. I'm from the dishcloth group and just discovered your site today. I've read all your entries and find your concept of $20 a year for yarn fascinating. I've pledged to not buy any yarn or fabric this year and just use from my stash. I sew and knit mainly for charity - sometimes for family, but they don't really appreciate my efforts as much as the folks on the reservation. Please consider adding e-mail and/or feedburner capabilities to your site. I'm rather new to blogging as I started my site in March, but if you want to e-mail me, I'll help in any way I can. Thanks for sharing your patterns with us.

Sr. Hildegard said...

Last comment did not really come from Contemplative Woman - only relayed by her for someone else who couldn't figure out how to post.

rochard said...

Thanks, Ladies! I just got an email for the blog and will put it up tonight. Sometimes I feel like this stuff is just beyond me, then I figure it out and wonder why I let myself get so intimidated.

Sally