Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Pattern: One-Row Lace Summer Scarf

I made this little scarf out of two stands of bedspread cotton, but you can use any sport weight cotton, such as Grace or Cool Crochet.

It's done in a modified Feather Fagot stitch. I turned the purl stitches into knit stitches, because the stiffness of the cotton caused me to drop stitches occasionally, which in a one-row pattern can be problematic with no safety net of straight K or P rows. This pattern makes a very lacy rib-looking fabric.

Instructions:

One-Row Lace Summer Scarf

CO 27 stitches on #5 or #6 needles (I used a circular needle, to give more control of the lace)

Rows 1-3: K across

Row 4: *K1, yo, K2tog* repeat to end.

Repeat row 4 until scarf is as long as desired. The scarf pictured is 40", and makes a small, ascot type of scarf.

Last three rows: K across

Finishing: The ascot type of scarf shown is gathered with a thread about 2 inches from the ends, then I wrapped the thread around the scarf and secured it. I have also made this scarf longer, and tied a knot in each end. You can also use fringe, if that is your preference, but the fringe should be quite long. Of course, it's nice just plain with no finishing at all.

This is fun to make! I hope you try it.

No comments: