Thursday, July 17, 2008

This Week on the Needles and Hooks

I finished two of the little scarves below for summer birthdays and a teddy bear from worsted scraps for the Mama Bear project, and finally put zippers in the coin purses (pattern to follow soon--it's a complex one). Now I can finally put Christmas into high gear and start adding to my bottom drawer where I put finished gifts. I'm fiddling around with a billed newsboy type of cap for one of the grandfellows. I've never made a billed cap and really should look at patterns, as I've ripped it out more times than I can count.

I'm very reluctant to look at any patterns since I started this blog, as there are just so many ways to make a hat or scarf or mittens, and I want to make sure anything I post here comes totally out of my head. One you see how someone else solves a problem, it's hard not to incorporate it into your own work in some way or another. I'm not a fancy needleworker, and I'm sure anything I do has been done in almost the same way by someone out there. I've heard that others have been accused of copying ideas and patterns, and want to make sure that doesn't happen to me.

But the little purses and the Nun's socks are making me proud, and I hope to get the patterns up soon.

I read three good books this week--Sea Glass, by Anita Shreve, An Unfinished Marriage, by Joan Anderson (nonfiction), and the Yarn Harlot's new book (which is very short, but made me laugh numerous times--you'll all love it, I'm sure).

Hugs! I hope you like the scarf.

2 comments:

Lisa T said...

the scarf is cute

have also enjoyed the new yarn harlot book

also enjoy your blog

rochard said...

Thanks, Lisa. I just found your old blog. In only three entries you made me laugh and then get all choked up. I hope you go back to it! You write so well.

Sally R.