Saturday, November 15, 2008

Project: Backpack--Various Acrylic Yarns



Here's the finished backpack/purse. I tried to stuff it with yarn to give it some shape, but it's truly enormous. It's a Linda Cyr design, published in Family Circle Easy Accessories.

I used all of the yarn I had. The black is Red Heart Super Saver, in a black with flecks of red and tan. The variegated is some sort of self striping yarn from the thrift shop bag, but it's quite harsh.

The bag is very soft and saggy, though, and the bottom is just too large. If I made it again, I'd make the bottom more rectangular and not a square, as it is here. I also don't like how the drawstring is formed---the straps are threaded through a channel made at the top, and tie under the flap. The I-cord is really too thick to make such a knot, which is huge under the flap.

The design had a pocket to give some strength to the button, but I don't have enough yarn to make a pocket. I will make a little square of black to sew under the button to give it some strength.

I'm glad I've got some time before Christmas to putz around with this a bit. I think I'll try to also put a square of plastic or cardboard in the bottom to keep it from sagging down.

It has possibilities, but it's just not there yet. Pretty, though.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

A woman who crochets felted purses for sale told me she uses those thin foam placemats for purse bottoms. She glues them with Tacky Glue into place (on the non-shiny side) after trimming to fit. They work well and they're cheap, especially the ugly ones on the clearance racks!

Love the bag, it looks roomy and bright.

Sasa said...

Love the bag, too! I have a fabric bag similar to this . . . the bottom always sags, but is probably smaller than yours (it is square). I like Barbara's suggestion about the place mats . . . but if you don't glue them in, it makes the bag more washable. My friend makes blue jean purses and she uses some kind of thin particle board in a sleeve matching the lining of the purse. It makes the whole thing washable - just take the bottom out, take the board out of the sleeve, and throw the whole thing in the washer and dryer! I love her purses!(www.picturetrail.com/stitchintime)