Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Project: Hats and Mittens--Granny Square box



I'm using the vintage Bernat wool-blend yarns from the box of granny squares and remnants I bought at a rummage sale this summer to make family hats and mittens. There were 13 unused skeins of different colors jammed in the box along with the 35 completed squares. The skeins really have good yardage. I was prepared to finish off this hat in a contrasting color, but one skein made both the hat and mittens pictured--and I had four yards left.


I don't get many emails from this blog, but I did get one some months ago after I posted a pattern for "incredibly simple" fingerless gloves. The writer gently reminded me that a lot of people don't find working with dpns simple, and lots of knitters make lovely things without ever using dpns. Also, she pointed out that even sock knitters may not have a full set of dpns in larger sizes.


So, I spent quite a bit of time looking at some vintage knitting patterns and converting some of my mitten patterns to the two-needle method. I hadn't made two-needle mittens before, and find them quite enjoyable. Also, they have a nice finished shape, since they are flat when done, and keep the shape well. I was surprised at how well the seam turns out--almost invisible.


The mittens above are made on two needles, and I'll be posting the pattern in a few days, as soon as I finish the next pair, (which have a more interesting design).

4 comments:

Ann said...

Every winter when I was a kid, my grandmother would make two-needle mittens for my brother and I. Aw, happy memory! Thanks. :)

Barbara said...

Cool hat! I love DPNs because I'm terrible at sewing up seams.

Sasa said...

LOL - I agree with Barbara! I'd much rather use DPNs than sew a seam!

Also LOVE the hat . . . where did you find the "recipe?"

rochard said...

It took about two mintues to sew them up--I used the CO tail to do the ribbing, then put the mitten on my left hand and sewed up the side with the top tail. It really makes a great mitten! I noted that all the old pattern books had these mittens. As Ann said, they were widely made in the past.

The hat is a pattern I cobbled together. It's crochet. I used the brim from "Lovely Lid" in 24-hour Crochet (Denise Black). The top is just a beanie type of thingy.

Sally