Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Do Not Make This Scarf!


I was watching Masterpiece Theater. I wanted a mindless project to work on. I had just untangled and wound a mass of some thin, slubby dark blue fiber of some sort. So, not really thinking it through, I decided to try one of those ruffle scarves. Since this was thin yarn (which I usually really prefer to work with), I ended up with a starting chain of 200. Remember that old game where you put a penny on a square, then double it and double it again, and eventually you have all the money in the world, before you get to the end of the board? THIS WAS JUST LIKE THAT. Before I finished rd 5 I had almost 2000 stitches. It just went on and on. Stitch, stitch, stitch...... It was mind-numbing. The most tedious thing I've ever done. With slubs, and quite a small hook! It took forever. Just finished it today. It really should be a little wider, but I'm just not that nuts. I hate it.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

But someone will see it and gasp with envy and joy, you know they will. Now do you see why I like thick yarn and big needles/hooks? It's pretty even though you hate it.

rochard said...

Thanks, Barb! I made scarves for the girls to give in their workplace gift exchanges, thinking they could better use the money for the kids (or the heating bill). So it will suffice for that. I shouldn't be rude about this design. Many people look adorable them.