Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Make A Scarf Today!

I hope everyone reading this will run over to Barbara's blog, http://hookingbookie.blogspot.com, and see the great opportunities she's found for scarf makers to make a difference in the world. The project that sends red scarves to former foster children attending college is one near and dear to my heart. I worked with foster children for years, and often felt there must be something we can do to help these kids when they age out of the system. They are so alone. I once had a former client ask me for help finding her siblings. She'd entered the system when she was four, after her mother's murder. She knew she had siblings, but didn't know their names. She wasn't even sure of her mother's name. These kids are cast adrift with no family support, no shelter, little clothing--and virtually no emotional support. Those of us who have children know how much they need us, even after they reach young adulthood. These young people need that, too.

Make a scarf--make a connection. Be a mentor, if you can (and get your husbands and significant others to connect with a young man who needs someone). Only 5% of former foster children graduate from college, but a much higher number end up in the criminal justice system. It's to our advantage as much as theirs to do something.

Hugs to all.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Thanks for adding your voice to mine, Rochard. Those aged-out foster kids deserve our knitting since there's nothing like a warm scarf to take the place of a hug when a person really needs one.

Yarntangler said...

My own Step grand daughters from my son's first marriage fell into that dark hole. While we and my son are not related by blood we are the only family that sends them mail or gifts. I'll be checking this project out if I ever stop reading your blog today!