Monday, October 20, 2008

A Pattern: Pink Hodge-Podge Scarf


Pink Hodge-Podge Scarf

Materials: Eight to ten different yarns in the same color family. Mine range from a very pale pink to a burgundy. At least two must be worsted weight, and one of these is used for the "binder" yarn. The others should be a range of weights from thin to bulky, and at least one should be a boucle or have other textural interest. I used yarns containing acrylic, wool, alpaca, mohair, nylon, cotton, and lurex. One was a fun-fur type, with slubs, and two had metallic threads.

US#10 circular needle, 36" or longer.

Note: This scarf has absolutely no finishing or weaving in ends, as the fringe is created during the knitting process.

Instructions: With "binder" worsted (here, I used a rose colored worsted), CO 220 st. Knit two rows. Cut yarn, leaving an 8" tail. Attach novelty yarn, leaving an 8" tail.

Work rows of one yarn for each row, in garter stitch, knotting new yarn leaving tail for fringe. Work one row of worsted between each novelty yarn for stability. Every inch, work two rows of worsted instead of one row, so the novelty yarns will not create a "right" side and a "wrong" side on the scarf. Each row takes about 4-5 yards of fiber. Use each yarn as many times as you wish. Here, I used the burgundy only twice, so the darker color would not overpower the lighter colors.

Continue working rows in garter stitch until scarf is as wide as you desire. Note that the fabric will stretch sideways, making the final scarf wider than it looks on the needles. My scarf is 7" wide and six feet long.

Finish with two rows of the base yarn, then BO LOOSELY in garter stitch.

Your scarf is done! Trim the fringe a little to make it fairly even, leaving it a little long and ragged.






I took the various yarns and filled in any empty spots with fringe, as the double worsted rows left some empty spaces.

Despite using some bulky yarns and some very thin yarns, the scarf turns out uniform and straight.

Thanks to Denise for giving me this idea for using up my pink yarns.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Ooh, pretty! I plan to do something similar with white and Delft blue for one more Special Olympics scarf (only in crochet), but I've used up all my blue and white stash so it's off to Hobby Lobby after work for a small purchase. I love the hairy and bumpy stuff.

Yarntangler said...

Amazing! I just finished crocheting a similar scarf about two weeks ago. Used scraps of white and pink eyelash, pink sport wieght, white and silver fancy fur and a chunky shell pink. I was trying desperately to find ways of using up a cone of purpley pink yarn I bought at a thrift shop.
Did I mention I have made 11 projects from this tri-strand baby weight yarn and It has barely made a dent in the cone. Guess what? I have another one just like it! Total cost for both-$.50!